Monday, June 1, 2009

Our New Favorite Meal

Sometime around the time that we moved from Des Moines to St. Louis, I came across a Carne Asada rub at the Grocery store. I bought it because carne asada is Danny's favorite mexican food. I found a marinade that thankfully doesn't use beer and tried it out. I even made homemade tortillas to give the full effect. The result: SUCCESS! It was delicious. After trying it out a second time, we ran out of the rub. Without thinking anything of it, I tossed the container and started looking for it at the grocery store. The result: FAILURE! I couldn't remember where I got it. I couldn't even remember if I bought it before or after we moved. We were very sad. After searching for a month or so, I eventually forgot what the outside of the rub even looked like. We tried making our own rub, but it didn't have the right taste. So our next step was to find a carne asada rub online. Danny not only found a rub, but he found THE rub. It was the exact same one that we had used. We were so excited that we stocked up.
We decided to try another kind also that you can order online becase it is a lot cheaper (that is the bigger container, if you couldn't tell). We tried it all out yesterday. The result: SUCCESS again! The cheaper rub was even just as good. We are thrilled to have our homemade carne asada back. Just one of those things that those in the Southwest US don't have to worry about, but the rest of us have to find our own solutions for lack of a good mexican restaurant.

3 comments:

Kim said...

I'm glad you guys found the rub you were looking for. I had to laugh at the pictures of your girls because that's how 90% of ours turn out. It's REALLY hard to get a good one. I love how busy Ashely is, she looks like so much fun.

Kipn n' Sarah said...

I am so glad you now get to enjoy the life of good carne asada again! Yeah for finding your happy food! You guys are so funny!

dcall said...

That's so funny. Do you know we have 3 carneceria's within 3 miles of our house. Not to mention the taqueria's. Also, the brand of rub you buy has a factory in Sacramento? I drive by the place sometimes while on the freeway!
I hope your well.