Monday, March 28, 2011

There's Something New with Alyssa

Back in December, we got a notice from Alyssa's Preschool about an eye screening that they had done. They sent home the letter to recommend that we schedule an eye exam to get her checked out for lazy eye. I didn't think much of it since we hadn't ever noticed anything unusual about her eyes or her sight. However, we decided that we would get it checked out anyways since yearly eye exams are free with our insurance. I figured I would wait until after the first of the year and then got distracted with all of our plans for our move. A few weeks ago the preschool followed up with me to see if we had ever gotten her tested. I told them that we intended to, we just hadn't gotten around to it. So that day I set up an appointment. She did really well with the eye exam until the doctor decided they needed to dilate her pupils with some special eye drops. That was quite traumatic for both Mother and Child. As a result, Alyssa came home with these. She got to pick out the frames herself and therefore chose her favorite color - Purple.
Turns out that she doesn't have lazy eye, but instead is far sighted. Her eyes are working overtime to read and do other things close up. This isn't a problem now, but may be a problem when she starts Kindergarten and starts reading. The trick will be getting her to wear them full time like the doctor recommended. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Wheeler Family said...

i love you and your glasses are pretty!
love, robbie

Kim said...

She is so cute in glasses. The trick is to just always wear them. Just try to remind her to keep them on and eventually they will just become normal to wear.

Karina & John Calderwood said...

I'll ask John if he has any pointers when he gets home tonight. One day I was helping in the office and Kelsi was back with John in the exam room in between patients when Kelsi came out with HUGE pupils. I was SO mad at John...poor girl was running into things because she couldn't see. LOL. BUT good news is that her eye sight is fine for now. :)
I love her glasses!