Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Fall Break in Colorado

For Fall break, I took a trip to Colorado with the kids to visit our Knudsen cousins. We had been trying to get these kids together for a long time and we were having a hard time finding a good chunk of time for it. So when we had 5 days and no trip planned, we decided to head out there and see them. Plus, it gave us a chance to see their new house. For part of the trip, we spent a night and day up in Estes Park. We did a couple of hikes in Rocky Mountain National Park. The colors were beautiful, but the weather was a little cold for us. 





Although we had fun getting together with the Knudsen's, there were some things that did not go as planned. First, Danny came down with strep throat about 4 days before we left for Colorado. We had some of us tested before we left, but all tests came back negative, so we went ahead with the trip. On Friday night after our first hike in Estes Park, Ashley wasn't feeling well. Fever, sore throat, chills. Most likely strep throat. So we had to find an urgent care facility in Estes Park first thing Saturday morning. The strep test was positive, so we got her some meds and got back to the hotel just in time for the late check out time. Another hitch was that Connor ended up having a volleyball tournament on Saturday that they really felt like he couldn't miss. So he and Alyssa headed off around 6 am on Saturday to get back in time for the tournament. This left the rest of us with just 1 car. And Ashley and I were at urgent care for most of the morning, leaving the others stranded. Our great plans for a Saturday morning hike to some waterfalls was not to be. We thought that we could still go find a pretty spot to picnic in Rocky Mountain National Park, but as we headed towards the entrance, the line of cars to go in was a mile long. We decided it was not worth it so we turned around and headed back to Estes Park. We did end up finding this pretty lake with a picnic area right next to it to have lunch. Oh, and I forgot to mention that both cars almost ran out of gas on Friday because we entered the park and had to drive about 30 miles with no gas stations. Poor planning on the part of the moms. 
On Saturday, I dropped Becky off at the volleyball tournament and found a nearby movie theater to kill some time with the younger kids. We grabbed dinner on the way home after the tournament and movie . At dinner, Alyssa told me she had not been feeling well all day. She woke up Sunday morning feeling worse, so I took her to urgent care for a strep test. Also positive, so we picked up some meds for her, as well. Aside from the sickness and other stuff, we still had a lot of fun. We felt pretty bad about passing strep throat on to their family, but I think the kids all thought it was worth the risk.
When we got back from Colorado, I went ahead and had the boys and myself tested for strep. The boys both came back positive, but I was negative. Our house looked a bit like a pharmacy for the next week. I have no idea how I avoided getting it.

No comments: